Newsflash: In 2016, more than one billion dollars were spent on legal advertising and marketing in this country. Yes, you read that right – more than one billion dollars. That’s an absolutely mind-blowing amount of money; one that quantifies the importance of standing out in an increasingly competitive environment.
As a legal TV advertiser, one of your greatest expenses every month is your media budget – is it working hard enough for you? Here’s why it needs to.
Attorney television advertising grew six times faster from 2008 to 2014 compared to all other ad spending, according to a 2015 Trial Lawyer Marketing report prepared for the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform. The report also noted that legal television advertising was slated to be politics-proof in 2016. Looking at the TV spend posted by law firms last year, that hypothesis held true. While other sectors such as automotive pulled back, legal advertising stayed the course.
So what does that mean? TV advertising is not dead. It is still an incredibly powerful tool for attorneys to leverage. However, because the legal advertising space gets more competitive each and every year, you must make some savvier choices with both your strategy and messaging.
To get started, here’s a quick checklist for smart TV legal advertising in 2017.
- Start with a Media Audit. First things first, get a deep understanding of your competition – what they are spending and where, as well as the kind of messaging they are using. By leveraging this type of market intelligence and data, you can ensure your media budget is being used to broadcast your message to the right audience in the right place, at the right time, and for the right price. At the end of the day, it’s a small, worthwhile insurance policy to make sure you’re reaching your target audience in the most efficient way possible.
- Focus on TV production. If it’s finally time to freshen your message, consider some new visual elements and go for superior-quality production. Watch competing commercials that already do production well. Listen to sound quality. Be selective in voice over. Edit with an eagle eye.
- Pinpoint your message – do not ask for everything. You can’t have it all. Nor does any law firm truly want it all (or have the resources to manage it all). Use your advertising message to ask for the types of cases your firm can handle well and bring to a successful conclusion, which will ultimately result in more referrals.
- Seriously separate yourself. Refine a tight, quality marketing message that will lead to what your attorneys really want: higher-quality cases. Remember, it’s not just about getting bigger or more cases, but securing better ones. How can you showcase what you do well for clients in an entirely new way? What makes you different? How can you say it unlike any other law firm?
- Employ the experts. No legal firm—as savvy as attorneys are—can singlehandedly navigate the television landscape. It’s complicated, time consuming and essentially like adding a full time job on top of running your law practice. Once you’ve dialed in your creative, let an expert legal advertising coach help you understand where and when to most effectively place your legal ads in 2016.
If you are considering adding a TV advertising strategy to your marketing mix, or if your current approach needs some help, call the legal marketing experts at Network Affiliates today. With in-house creative, production and media planning teams to handle all your TV advertising needs, we can support you every step of the way. Call us at (888) 461-1016 now!